I am such a fortunate woman. I have just been nominated by one of my fellow bloggers for the Liebster Blog Award. “Liebster” is a German word, meaning “beloved”. The award is used to highlight smaller, lesser known blogs with less than 200 followers. Susan, who writes a beautiful family history blog (http://branchesofourfamily.wordpress.com/), selected whatdoyareckon along with ten other blogs for the award – all ten blogs are excellent, but some of them are really, really cool! You should take a look at Susan’s blog; it’s great reading.
Now, the deal with the award is that you accept it with the intention of ‘paying it forward’. When accepting, you choose 5 to 10 other blogs you like and you feel are deserving of more subscribers and pass the award on to them. It’s sort of like a tech-savvy chain letter but without the annoying threat of horrible consequences and bad karma if you don’t pass it on. You are not obliged to accept the award or to even pay it forward. It’s just a way to get the word out about new blogs your followers may enjoy.
In order to accept my Liebster Award I must do the following:
- Thank and link the presenter of my award in my post.
- Answer the 11 questions created for me by the award giver, and create questions to be answered by the bloggers which I nominate.
- Post 11 random facts about myself.
- Link the blogs I enjoy and choose to nominate to this post and tell the nominees that I’ve nominated them for a Liebster Blog Award.
So, these are the questions my nominator has asked me:
1.What inspires you to blog?
Life is a fascinating experience! Sometimes I’m absolutely driven to tell everyone about it.
2. How long does it take you to write an average post?
There is no norm…sometimes it flows out of my fingers and is complete in ten minutes, while other times it takes weeks.
3. What is your favourite line from a movie?
I think that Yoda’s response to Luke’s aggrieved whine of “I’ll give it a try” (Starwars, The Empire Strikes Back) said it best, “ …No. Try not. Do… or do not. There is no try.”
4. Is there anything you can’t do anymore but you wish you could?
I would not mind hopping in a jet and playing with the clouds a bit…but, now that the Air Force is no longer letting me play with their toys, I seem to keep my feet on the ground more.
5. What is your favourite quote?
That’s easy…my mother has always said, “Actions have consequences…”
6. What would you like to achieve this year?
I would love to get our boat (Bushranger) underway. We have been working on it for about a year and a half…I think it’s time it gave us a bit of ‘payback’.
7. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I love where I am…no matter where it is. There is something wonderful to be seen/felt/experienced in every place.
8. Do you have any guilty pleasures?
I do love my ice cream…particularly when you mix it with bits of candy…
9. If you could live in any period of history which would you choose?
I would love to visit the year 1910. I love the art work, the fashion, the literature. …but I don’t want to hang around for the start of the 1st World War, so it would have to be a quick visit.
10. What book reminds you of your childhood?
“One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish”…thank you Dr Seuss…
11. Recommend something everyone should try once in their lives?
You’ve got to try avocados! They melt in your mouth like the richest pudding, but are actually good for you!
Now, I have a few questions for the blogs that I’ve nominated:
- Who taught you the most valuable lesson in your life?
- Is there someone in your life that you would like to thank, but you don’t know where they are?
- How do you decide which blogs you follow?
- Which sense drives you to blog (sight, taste, etc)?
- Is there something you wish WordPress would change to help you with your blog?
- Does nighttime or daytime inspire you to blog?
- Is it hard to carve out time for your blog?
- Do you write your blog entries with your readers in mind, or do you just write the blog for yourself?
- What is your most memorable birthday present?
- Where do you want to be in ten years?
- Are you enthusiastic or conflicted about accepting these blog awards?
Now I get to tell you eleven random facts about me:
- I am a “glass is half full” type person (as if you couldn’t tell that from my blog)
- I believe there is “something” after this life…I just don’t know what that “something” is.
- http://thesaurus.com/ is a wonderful resource when composing a poem (don’t tell anyone, okay?…it’s my secret)
- I worry that bloggers will feel that a nomination for one of these awards is more of an imposition than an honor…but I’m going to nominate them anyway, because I think it is always a good thing to help beautiful blog sites with circulation.
- I believe that the most precious gift a parent can give a child is a solid ‘belief in self’.
- In my first grade ballet class I was a pumpkin…with a little green stalk on my head and everything.
- I hate cleaning windows, but I do it if I must.
- I love baking bread and will find any excuse to plunge my fingers into dough.
- I love old Katharine Hepburn movies (especially On Golden Pond)
- I wish I had more time to paint, but life keeps getting in the way.
- I think that this award is a bit too time consuming…it should be less ‘in depth’ (I doubt that many of you are still reading this, so it is no good apologizing to you, is it?).
Now, I am only going to pick five blogs to nominate. That’s not because there are only five that I think are worthy; rather, I think that this blog entry is already too long, so I will shorten it by selecting only five:
- http://laurenalexanderart.com/ This blog is written by an artist in Kansas City. When she’s not painting (her paintings are so fresh a beautiful) she is teaching art to elementary students.
- http://fikaandmore.wordpress.com/ This is a lovely recipe blog. Take a look at the sweet photo that is her header… it’ll make you smile…and her recipes will keep that smile on your face for the rest of the day!
- http://soodepostcrossing.wordpress.com/ If you love postcards, this blog will make your day. Soode is from Iran and posts some of the loveliest postcards from all around the world.
- http://alittlebitgreener.wordpress.com/ This blog is about making the world a better place. It’s all about keeping our home (planet) in the best shape we can by being smart and responsible.
- http://scshekar9.wordpress.com/ Finally, this beautiful photography blog has some of the most vibrant photos of nature than I have ever seen. Please take a look for yourself.
So, there ya’ go. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and I hope that you enjoy some of the links that the Liebster Blog Award has generated.